The PhD degree in Computer Science requires 72 credit hours of course work and research credits. Students who have previously completed a BS and/or and MS are eligible to apply to the PhD program. Additional information on Computer Science degree requirements, including a list of all CS graduate courses, can be found in the CS Graduate Catalog.
The following five courses are required of all students. Students who have taken equivalent courses at another institution may satisfy these requirements by transfer.
- CSCI406 Algorithms (offered every semester)
- CSCI442 Operating Systems (offered every semester)
- CSCI561 Theory of Computation (offered every fall)
- CSCI564 Advanced Computer Architecture (offered every spring)
- SYGN502 Introduction to Research Ethics
Students in the PhD program will be required to pass a qualifying examination, thesis proposal, and dissertation defense. More details can be found in the CS Graduate Catalog.