Graduate Program Admission Requirements
The Computer Science Graduate Committee review applicantions for admissions for the Fall and Spring semesters. Applicants must have a complete application submited to the Graduate School by the posted admission deadlines to be considered for admission.
We strongly encourage you to meet the Fall admission priority deadline PDF version Text only version
Text only versionof December 15th if you are applying to a thesis-based degree and seeking funding. Fall admission decisions with funding decisions are typically determined by mid-February.
The minimum requirements for admission to the M.S. and PhD. degrees in Computer Science are:
- A baccalaureate degree with a grade-point average of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Students are expected to have completed two semesters of calculus, along with courses in object-oriented programming and data structures, and upper level courses in at least three of the following areas: software engineering, numerical analysis, computer architecture, principles of programming languages, analysis of algorithms, and operating systems.
- Graduate Record Examination (Quantitative section) score of 151 or higher (or 650 on the old scale). Applicants who have graduated with an engineering degree from Mines within the past five years are not required to submit GRE scores.
- TOEFL score of 79 or higher (or 550 for the paper-based test or 213 for the computer-based test) for applicants whose native language is not English. In lieu of a TOEFL score, an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher will be accepted.
- For the Ph.D. program, prior research experience is desired but not required.
The CS Graduate Committee may require that an admitted student take undergraduate remedial coursework to overcome technical deficiencies. The committee will decide whether to recommend regular or provisional admission.
Below are the application packet requirements required by the Graduate School at Colorado School of Mines.
- Domestic Student Application Requirements
Text only version
- International Student Application Requirements
Text only version
Learn more about the graduate admission reqirements and completing an online application. Additionally, questions can be directed to the Graduate Program Manager, Lori Sisneros at email@example.com or at 303-273-3658. Also check out our CS@Mines Graduate flyer PDF version Text only version
Text only version.